"Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." ~ Luke 1:45

Sunday, February 13, 2011

To Mend A Broken Heart

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've started noticing a certain theme in some facebook postings, especially among my younger friends. I've been seeing a lot of reference to Valentine's Day, or more specifically, being alone on Valentine's Day.

Now I'm all for couples taking whatever opportunity they can find to display their love for one another, but I'm just not sold on the idea that purchasing flowers, candy, gifts and cards is the most effective way to do it - unless of course, your significant other's love language is gifts. But for the one whose native tongue is words of affirmation, quality time, physical touch or acts of service, candy and flowers just don't get it done. Especially when the underlying reason is basically because everyone else is doing it. What did we teach our kids about that being the reason for doing anything? But that's a conversation for another time.

The thing that disturbs me about Valentine's Day is that somewhere along the way, it has helped to promote the idea in young people (and some not so young) that if they don't have a "Valentine", something is wrong with them and they don't fit in. They have gotten the idea that their value as a person is somehow connected to whether or not they are involved in a "romantic" relationship. During my years in youth ministry, I can't tell you how many times I heard from young girls how much they wanted a boyfriend. They were so desperate for a guy (any guy) that their judgement would be clouded by the first charmer who looked their direction.

This desperation for "love" (and I use the term very loosely) is why so many young women find themselves in one bad relationship after another. And it is an underlying cause why so many of them end up victims of abuse - and worse.

February is National Mend A Broken Heart Month. This, partnered with my own experience in a bad relationship, inpsired me to, for the first time in a long time, tap my creative side to design something that will hopefully remind others of the importance of being aware of the hurting ones around us and what they need to enable the healing process. The verse is original, and the graphic is of several hands forming a heart, surrounding it.

The design is printed on ivory parchment paper, is suitable for framing, and is available for purchase on my business website, FreestyleBizSolutions.com. It is also available by contacting me directly.

During the month of February, for every print sold, I will donate $2 to Hope Alliance, Williamson County's only emergency shelter for victims of domestic violence and sexual assualt. I have visited the Hope Alliance office and met their staff, and I wholeheartedly support the work they do in providing safety and hope to the women and children who seek their help.

The original verse included on this print is shown below.

In the meantime, let me encourage you to hug a young person and let them know that they are valuable and precious. Not because of their accomplishments or talents or whether or not they have a boyfriend or girlfriend. Just because they are who they are. Maybe if we give enough hugs and words of encouragement, we can prevent at least one heart from needing mending.

To Mend A Broken Heart

A broken heart needs healing
A broken heart needs hope
A broken heart needs comfort
While it's learning how to cope.

A broken heart needs safety
A shelter filled with peace
A place where it's okay to cry
And find a sweet release.

Where loving arms are open
Where one can find a friend
Here in the warmth of unconditional love
The broken heart will mend.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Rachael!! I agree 100%! Friday were all of the Valentine parties at school and it was heartbreaking to hear the children who didn't receive anything at school from their parents ask the teachers why they didn't get the cute stuffed animal that so-and-so got. Even at that young age, they translate that lack of tangible gift as "maybe there's something not special about me" or "maybe I'm not loved as much". Here's to seeing love with new eyes, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for remembering those of us who are single (and maybe not so young) who live in a couples world. I'm leading the singles group at my church and find that this community seems to be growing in numbers due to divorce. I love your poem in the hands shaped like a heart so I'd like to purchase one. After what I've come through, even if I remarry I will never forget the hurting single believers. It's a hard road to travel yet it can be done with Jesus. I know because I've done it. I can relate to an old cigarette commercial that had it's slogan as, "you've come a long way baby" since my divorce so I know that all of God's single children can do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! It brought peace to my troubled spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina-
    Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this. For your troubled spirit,

    "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

    Grace & peace,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete